This recipe is from Cooking.com (that's their photo at left). I've made a couple relatively minor changes. The original recipe calls for nuts, but I don't use them...cause then Ross wouldn't eat any of the muffins (he already has to bear the raisins in these...). These muffins are great for breakfast, snack, or even dessert. They are sort of healthy, and with the changes I made I think they are around 220 calories each with 3g fiber and 3g protein (based on info from original recipe).
Pineapple Upside-Down Muffins
light brown sugar
1 small can pineapple slices (8 oz.)
3/4 c. whole wheat flour
3/4 c. all purpose flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
1 Tbl. ground cinnamon
2 large eggs
1/2 c. packed light brown sugar
1/4 c. canola oil
2 Tbl. pineapple or orange juice (you can use the pineapple juice drained from the pineapple slices)
1 tsp. vanilla
1 8 oz. can crushed pineapple--not drained
1 c. grated carrot
1/2 c. old fashioned oats
3/4 c. plump raisins
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Coat 12 muffin cups with cooking spray.
3. For the topping--sprinkle 1 1/2-2 tsp. brown sugar into each muffin cup. (The more the bettter.)
4. Stack pineapple slices and cut into 6 wedges. --I don't know why this is so hard for me, but it is. You should end up with 24 wedges total.
5. Place 2 wedges in each muffin cup.
6. For the muffins--whisk dry ingredients in a bowl.
7. Whisk eggs and brown sugar in medium bowl until smooth.
8. Whisk in oil, juice, and vanilla.
9. Stir in crushed pineapple.
10. Make a well in the dry ingredients then add wet ingredients and stir until just combined.
11. Stir in carrots, oats, and raisins.
12. Scoop the batter into prepared muffin cups.
13. Bake until tops are golden brown...about 15 minutes works for me.
14. Immediately loosen edges and turn muffins out onto baking sheet or cutting board.
15. Make them all pretty by putting back all the pineapple wedges that fell off in the process.
16. Let cool at least 10 minutes.
Free Ice Cream for National Chocolate Ice Cream Day!
2 months ago