Three Cup Eggplant
15 garlic cloves, crushed or cut into slivers
10 slices of ginger
1/3 c. sesame oil (I just use enough to coat the bottom of my pot)
1/3 c. soy sauce
1/3 c. rice wine
3 Tbl. sugar
2 lb. Japanese eggplant
one large bunch of Thai basil
1. Heat oil in a large pot.
2. Add garlic and ginger to pot and saute for a few minutes.
3. Add soy sauce, rice wine, and sugar to the pot and stir to dissolve sugar.
4. After bringing mixture to a boil reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
5. While sauce is cooking, cut eggplant into bite size pieces and remove basil leaves from stalks.
6. Add eggplant to pot and cook for 5-7 minutes, until eggplant is softened.
7. Stir basil into pot and cook another two minutes.