Wednesday, August 3, 2011

My First Go at Risotto

I'm not sure why I had not made risotto before. Probably because it takes constant attention. Last week I decided to finally give it a go.  I was going to use all vegetable broth, but the broth was very strong, so I used about half broth and half water. I liked the end result, it just came out salty.

Bacon and Cheese Risotto

1 diced onion
oil
3 slices bacon, cooked until crispy and finely chopped (I used low salt Turkey bacon)
3/4 c. arborio rice
2 1/2 c. liquid (very hot) -- Liquid can be broth or water or combination
1/4 c. parmesan cheese

1. Saute the onion in oil until soft.
2. Add rice and toast for 2-3 minutes.
3. Add bacon and stir.
4. Add liquid a little at a time, stirring constantly and cooking off water before adding more.
5. When all liquid has been absorbed mixture is creamy stir in cheese and remove from heat.

I made this again last night--without the broth and without the bacon. I added lots of rosemary and basil from the garden. It definitely wasn't salty last night, and it had a very different flavor without the bacon.

No comments: