Saturday, May 9, 2009

Pineapple Waffles

When we moved I got rid of our old waffle maker.  I've been looking for a new one and ended up buying a Belgian flip waffle iron at Target.  I decided to surprise Ross yesterday with pineapple waffles for lunch.  He had butter and maple syrup on his.  I had Greek yoghurt, banana, and honey on mine.  The waffles were good and so far I like the waffle maker.  The recipe is from the 1943 edition of The Joy of Cooking.  I omitted any sugar per my dad's rule.  And of course, I added some things.

Pineapple Waffles

1 3/4 c cake flour
3 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
cinnamon
nutmeg

3 eggs, separated
6 Tbl. melted butter
1 1/2 c. milk
vanilla

1/2 c. drained, crushed pineapple

1.  Sift dry ingredients into a bowl.  Make well in center of dry ingredients
2.  Beat the egg yolks well and add to dry ingredients.
3.  Add butter, milk, and vanilla.
4.  Mix batter, leaving a few lumps.
5.  Fold in pineapple.
6.  Beat 3 eggs whites until stiff, but not dry.
7.  Fold in egg whites.
8.  Cook in waffle iron.

The pineapple texture was more obvious than the taste, but I liked them.

No comments: