Thursday, May 21, 2009

Maus

I just finished reading Maus by Art Spiegelman.  I read Maus II a couple of weeks ago and wanted to read the first one.  After Maus II I was sad.  Now I'm terrified. Maus isn't apocalyptic science fiction, it is a true story.  It is history.   These horrible things really happened, and not just to Vladek Spiegelman, but to millions of other Jews. He survived.  Even worse things happened to other Jews (and homosexuals, and gypsies, and the handicapped, and the mentally ill, and all the other people that were deemed unfit for society).

Half way through the book I was actually thinking about where we could build a bunker in our house so that we could hide.  Would our neighbors turn us in?  Where could we, would we go? I'm overwhelmed by the thought of it all.  I'm scared.

Best I should not think about it too much.  Instead I eat cake.

No comments: