Friday, May 8, 2009

If someone got genital herpes, wht the chance its might gos awy?

It all started out innocently enough.  When I had that cold sore last month I found myself on Yahoo Answers reading about Abreva.  I wanted to vote down some of the answers, but I wasn't a member of Yahoo Answers.  I became a member, but you can only vote (thumbs up, thumbs down) on answers if you are level 2.  And so it began.  

I started answering questions to earn points toward becoming level 2. At first it was kind of fun, and I felt sort of useful.  The more I read, the more I wanted that level 2.  I wanted to be able to thumbs down those people that spread misinformation (i.e. you can not get pregnant until you have your period, the only way to get an STD is by having sex, being homosexual gives you HIV, eggs are dairy).  Uh, can you tell which sections I hang out in?

I became pretty obsessed, and the more I read, the more depressed. How many cups is 3/4 cups if I have to double it for a recipe? Am I fat? How do I become vegetarian?  Could I be pregnant? How can I lose 20 pounds in 2 weeks?  I'm scared I have HIV, should I get tested? 1,000 variations of: Do my homework for me? The texting abbreviations, bad spelling, bad grammar, and abundance of inane questions makes me sad, and a little angry too.

Most people don't just give up an obsession/addiction.  People need a way to cope, so they trade in one obsession or addiction for another. I've always wished I could trade my obsession with food in for an obsession with exercise.  It never works.  Well, today I'm saying goodbye to Yahoo Answers.  I'm trading it in for needles.  I've taken out the shorts that I was knitting and I'm going to finish them--hopefully by the 4th of July.  At least I'll have something at the end of it instead of just useless points and a sense of disappointment in today's youth.


I was going to put a link to the title question so that you could vote on the best answer, but then I realized you have to be member of Yahoo Answers to vote, and I don't want get anyone else wrapped up the craziness.

No comments: