Sunday, June 29, 2008

Roasting Peppers

My mom had a friend bring some produce from Mexico including some poblano peppers. It was really nice of her because it saved us some money, a long wait on the bridge (in 100 degree heat) and the risk of getting caught in drug lord cross-fire (no joke, the violence in Juarez is unreal). So my dad and I prepped the peppers for transport back to Fort Worth.
To prevent us all getting salmonella, E. Coli, or Hepatitis I washed the peppers as best as I could. My mom didn't want us roasting them in the house because she didn't want black ash flying around the kitchen. My dad fired up the grill and we roasted them on the heat plates. We did it in two batches and found that closing the lid helped it go a little faster (the temperature shot up to almost 500 degrees). When they came off the grill they went into a metal bowl lined with a wet paper towel and then were covered with another wet paper towel. That helps kinda steam off the skins. When all the peppers were done we put the bowl in a plastic bag to try and trap the steam. After we let them cool a while my mom, dad, and I peeled them. My dad scraped out the seeds and afterwards my mom and I rinsed them off. At the end we put them into ziploc bags and put them in the freezer. Now when Ross wants to make cream of poblano soup all he has to do is take a bag out of the freezer and defrost it.







1 comment:

Team Serrins Springfield said...

I'm so jealous! I swear my mouth was wattering as I read the description.