Wednesday, December 22, 2010

That Was Scary!

I was in the middle of feeding my latest addiction (more on that later) when I heard a snap and the lights went out. I could see the lights on outside, so I knew it wasn't a power outage. The time was still showing on the microwave, and the bathroom light worked---so I had tripped the circuit breaker. I wasn't sure how though, because I hadn't plugged in anything new or done anything different. I opened the circuit box and tried to flip the circuit back on, but it wouldn't stick. I unplugged everything in the living room, and I just couldn't get it back into the on position. I called Ross and asked him if he had any ideas. He was stumped because I had indeed actually flipped the circuit all the way to the off position and then back on, but it wasn't working. While I was on the phone with him I tried it again and heard loud crackling, crunching noises coming from the wall above the circuit breaker. That scared me and Ross said he was coming right home. Another try and I heard the same noises. Third try and the lights came back on. I walked out of the bathroom (where the circuit box is) and smelled smoke. I immediately turned the circuit back off. I started to freak out a little. I was terrified that there was a fire in the walls or ceiling. I was walking around sniffing everywhere and feeling the walls to see if they were hot. When Ross got home he definitely noticed the smell. Ross immediately called the landlord--who still hasn't called back. He got to sniffing and then noticed smoke stains coming from the entryway fixture. Ross took down the light fixture and found where the fire had been. I'm so grateful that it didn't spread. We went to Home Depot, got a new fixture, and Ross put it in. Everything is back to normal now, but I'm really annoyed that the landlord still hasn't called.

No comments: