Sunday, December 19, 2010

Do You Believe in Santa?

Last night when we sat down to dinner with the Lusters Evelyn asked me if I believe in Santa. I told her that was a hard one. She let me off the hook because she said that people who believe in Hanukkah don't believe in Santa. It was a big weight off my shoulders not having to answer that question.

You see, years ago I participated in the fleecing of a child. A young girl was desperate to know the truth about Santa, and I participated in the deception by writing her a letter from Santa. I will never forgive myself. Really. Growing up I never believed in Santa. My parents didn't lie to me and tell me my gifts were from some jolly fat man. Sometimes I wanted to believe, but I always knew it was just a story.

I don't feel like I missed out on any part of my childhood by not believing that Santa, the Easter Bunny, and the Tooth Fairy were real. When I lost a tooth, the fact that my parents could put a quarter under my pillow without waking me up was miracle enough for me.

I will never understand why parents lie to their kids about Santa. I guess it is easier than the truth. I don't want to hear bull about childhood wonderment. There are plenty of real things that kids can be amazed by. And don't even get me started about how Christmas is actually supposed to be a religious holiday...actually, don't get my mom started.

I'm really thankful my parents were always straight up with me (about everything). I was never blindsided by the truth coming from somewhere else. When kids ask me a direct question I want to tell them the truth. I guess I'm lucky Evelyn asked whether I believe in Santa, not if Santa is real. If she had asked if Santa is real, I would have had to say no. I just can't lie again.

No comments: