1 Tbl. + 2 tsp. yeast
1 3/4 c. warm water
2 Tbl. sugar
1/3 c. sugar
1/3 c. oil
3 c. whole wheat flour
3 1/4 c. white flour
1 Tbl. + 1 tsp salt
1. Proof yeast 5 minutes with sugar and water.
2. Add eggs, sugar, oil, and salt. Mix.
3. Gradually add flour.
4. Kneed dough until smooth.
5. Leave dough to rise in oiled, covered bowl until doubled (about an hour).
6. Punch down dough, divide in half.
7. Shape dough. To make braids divide each half into thirds. Roll out each third into a rope. Braid ropes together starting from the center. The braid can be put into a loaf pan or onto a baking sheet.
8. Allow the dough to rise again (about another hour).
9. Preheat oven to 350 F.
10. Glaze bread with mixture of water, honey, and egg.
11. Bake for 20-30 minutes.
To make the French toast, slice the loaf and check out my other blog post on the subject.