Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Gingerbread Bars

I saw these bars in bon apetit and just had to try them. I think I've made them four times already. This last time I really ramped up the ginger and used some whole wheat flour. They turned out a little darker than usual because I used the really dark molasses. These have gone over well at Ross's work, and at a birthday party we took them to on Sunday. With my nerves (and thus munchies) at an all time high right now I can't believe we still have some in the house.

Gingerbread Bars

1 1/2 c. flour
1/4 c. whole wheat flour
4 tsp. ginger (powder)
1 tsp. nutmeg
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. cloves
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt

10 Tbl. butter
3/4 c. brown sugar
6 Tbl. sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
1 Tbl. grated fresh ginger
2 eggs
1/4 c. molasses

flour (a little less than 2 Tbl.)
turbinado sugar

0. Preheat oven to 350 F.
1. Butter and flour a 9.5x13.5 inch baking dish (The original recipe calls for an odd sized pan, but I just use my lasagna dish, and it turns out fine).
2. Whisk together dry ingredients.
3. Cream butter and sugars until fluffy.
4. Add vanilla and fresh ginger and mix thoroughly.
5. Add eggs one at a time.
6. Mix in molasses.
7. Add dry ingredients and beat to blend.
8. Transfer batter to pan and spread out evenly (it will be thick).
9. Sift flour over batter and spread evenly with pastry brush.
10. Sprinkle turbinado sugar evenly over batter.
11. Bake until tester comes out clean--about 25 minutes.

These are great with milk. The original recipe says they can also be used to make ice cream sandwiches. I haven't tried that yet. Just so you know, ginger is a fire. If you are a fire, then be careful--don't eat a bunch of these (especially with lychee or pineapple). You'll get a nose bleed like Ross did.

No comments: