1 1/2 c. flour
1/4 c. whole wheat flour
4 tsp. ginger (powder)
1 tsp. nutmeg
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. cloves
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
10 Tbl. butter
3/4 c. brown sugar
6 Tbl. sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
1 Tbl. grated fresh ginger
1/4 c. molasses
flour (a little less than 2 Tbl.)
0. Preheat oven to 350 F.
1. Butter and flour a 9.5x13.5 inch baking dish (The original recipe calls for an odd sized pan, but I just use my lasagna dish, and it turns out fine).
2. Whisk together dry ingredients.
3. Cream butter and sugars until fluffy.
4. Add vanilla and fresh ginger and mix thoroughly.
5. Add eggs one at a time.
6. Mix in molasses.
7. Add dry ingredients and beat to blend.
8. Transfer batter to pan and spread out evenly (it will be thick).
9. Sift flour over batter and spread evenly with pastry brush.
10. Sprinkle turbinado sugar evenly over batter.
11. Bake until tester comes out clean--about 25 minutes.
These are great with milk. The original recipe says they can also be used to make ice cream sandwiches. I haven't tried that yet. Just so you know, ginger is a fire. If you are a fire, then be careful--don't eat a bunch of these (especially with lychee or pineapple). You'll get a nose bleed like Ross did.