Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Blueberry Pie Ice Cream

Blueberries were a really good price so I bought two pints. I thought I'd make gelato or ice cream. I finally got off my butt and made some ice cream today. I added the spices that I usually add to blueberry pie, so it tastes like blueberry pie. The texture isn't quite right--it reminds me of canned pears. I used my gelato recipe as a base, but changed it up a bit.

Blueberry Pie Ice Cream

1 c sugar
1 c heavy cream
vanilla
nutmeg
cardamom
1 pound blueberries (about 2 2/3 dry pints)

1. Stir together sugar and cream in a heavy pot over medium heat.
2. Add spices to taste.
3. Continue to stir cream until sugar is completely dissolved.
4. Dump blueberries into blender and pour cream mixture over them.
5. Puree berries until smooth.
6. Put mixture in refrigerator until completely chilled.
7. Pour puree into ice cream maker and churn for 25-10 minutes
8. Scrape ice cream into container and put into the freezer--ice cream will be firm and ready in 3-4 hours.

No comments: