Friday, July 4, 2008

Lodge Griddle

My family has brand loyalties including: Coca-Cola, Dawn, Singer, and Lodge. My parents have an extensive collection of Lodge pans and between me and my parents we have 10 Singer sewing machines!
On the weekends I sometimes make pancakes and it takes me forever. I decided to buy a two burner griddle to speed things along. Cast iron was my first choice. My mom found a Lodge reversible griddle at the outlet mall near her house for a decent price. I bought one while we were visiting. The cast iron pans now come pre-seasoned, so yesterday I took it out of the box and it was ready to make French toast this morning. I made an entire loaf (minus one slice) in less time than it would have taken me to do 6 slices. I'll freeze some of the French toast and we can pop it into the toaster whenever we want some. Here's how I make French toast:

French Toast

bread (sliced challah makes the best French toast)
eggs
milk
vanilla
nutmeg
cinnamon

I preheated the griddle (on high) while I was prepping the egg mixture. I whisk the eggs until they are well blended and then pour in milk and whisk until it is pale yellow. I never measure. This morning I used 4 eggs and that was enough for almost a whole loaf of wheat bread. I whisked in the vanilla, nutmeg, and cinnamon. My dad says to never put sugar in French toast or pancake batter, but most times I do it anyway. I threw some butter on the griddle before the first batch of toast. A quick dip in the egg batter and I throw them on the pan. I turn down the heat a bit and flip the toast when it's golden brown (sounds like I make perfect toast and never burn it. Hahaha.). Ross likes to put powdered sugar and butter on top. I like just butter. My mom slathered it in syrup and we all had to resist seconds.

Happy Fourth of July!

1 comment:

LisaDiane said...

Wow! That looks great. I am bummed that I didn't get to try the 'fruits' of the new griddle's labor!