Saturday, July 25, 2009

Advice

There were so many times with my nieces here that I wanted to spout out little bits of advice. I figured they wouldn’t listen, and who wants to hear all that crap on vacation anyway? I don’t know if they will read this, but I’m just going to lay it all out here. Little things that I’ve learned along the way.

Answer the question asked.
Listen carefully. It will help with that first one, and lots of other things.
Read, read, read. Read and learn.
Everything in moderation. I really can’t stress that enough. (Smoking and Sunning don’t fall under this category.)
No one can make you feel guilty except yourself. (Don’t fall for guilt trips.)
Don’t start smoking.
Be proud of who you are. If you are tall, stand tall and don’t be afraid to wear high heels. Don’t hide your intelligence, beauty, athleticism, or sexuality. Accept who you are and allow yourself to shine.
Nobody is perfect. Nobody. So striving for perfection is a sure path to failure. Just do your best.
Accept compliments graciously. Say thank you and take it to heart. On the flip side–listen for truths in constructive criticism, but just blow off outright insults.
Take responsibility for your actions. If it was your great idea then own up to it and accept credit. Own up to your mistakes too. Life doesn’t just happen to you. You make choices. Take responsibility for those choices.
Learn to listen to your body.
Keep an open mind.
Always wear sunscreen. Never ever go to a tanning salon or lay out in the sun to get a tan.
Remember, you aren’t perfect, so don’t be afraid to ask for help.
Also, don’t be afraid to say no. Trying to please everyone by saying yes to every request will just make you miserable.
Don’t skimp on shoes, toilet paper, or milk.
And as my mom always says: books before boys.

I think most people just have to figure this stuff out on their own, but a couple of these I really took to heart when I first heard them.

1 comment:

LisaDiane said...

Very nice list. A good reminder, even if the reader had already figured out some of these tips on their own! Reading it made me miss you more than I already did!