Tuesday, December 30, 2008

You Dropped a Bomb on Me, Baby...

I saw the woman whose name shall not be mentioned making bath bombs on her show a long time ago. I was flipping channels--that's my story and I'm sticking to it. Since then I have always wanted to try making them. A few months ago I found a couple bath bomb recipes online and bought all the ingredients. The ingredients then sat in a box untouched for at least two months.
Sunday night (possibly inspired by my visit to Lush) I decided to go ahead and try to make the bombs. I ended up making two batches. The first one was lavender scented (and possibly tea tree, oops, I might have used the wrong essential oil). The second batch was black chamomile--my mom bought me the oil at B&BW on Black Friday.
The ingredients are relatively inexpensive, and the mixture is easy enough to make. The hard part is getting the balls out of the molds. I enlisted Ross's help and he was a lot better at it than I was. He was able to make perfect little globes. I'm going to make some more soon. I need to find a better source for the citric acid. It was kind of expensive at the store where I bought it.

Bath Bombs

1 c baking soda
1/2 c citric acid
1/3 c epsom salts
1/3 c cornstarch
1/2 tsp Borax
1 Tbl. oil
essential oil
water
glycerin
spray bottle
globe molds

Mix all dry ingredients together. You might want to grind up the epsom salts and citric acid if they are in large crystals (luckily mine were fine crystals).
Add oil and essential oil. For the first batch I used a lavender scented oil. In the second batch I just used plain old veggie oil, but the recipes suggest almond oil. Mix thoroughly.
I put about a half and half mixture of water and glycerin into a small spray bottle. I shook it up, then I sprayed the mixture a few times to moisten it. Caution: too much glycerin can start the fizzing reaction. You might not see the reaction, but when the bombs are used they will be duds and not fizz.
Mold the mixture (which will be powdery/crumbly) with the globe molds. Ross said the trick was to way overfill the mold so that the edges of the mold never touched when he squeezed really hard to pack the mixture together. He let the mold sit for a minute or two then tapped on the mold to help release it. Careful--the globes like to break in half. Gently lift off one half of the mold, then the other--no twisty!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Used my bomb last night!!! It was awesome!!