Sunday, December 7, 2008

Traditional Ghetto Dessert

When he was growing up, Ross's mom would make yellow cake cookies. Apparently it was an inexpensive easy dessert that she learned to make as an Army wife. Ross used to call his mom every couple of months and ask how to make them until I finally wrote it down in my cook book. A few times he just winged it--bad news. Over the years the cookies have really grown on me. I didn't used to like them until I discovered how wonderful they are after 10 seconds in the microwave (I prefer soft, chewy cookies.). Yesterday at Target I bought a box of yellow cake mix (Duncan Hines is apparently the Brown family brand of choice) and some chocolate chips. I think it might have been the first time I actually made them (it's a Ross thing). So here's the recipe if you want to try the Brown family traditional ghetto dessert:

Yellow Cake Cookies

1 box yellow cake mix
1/2 c. oil (sometimes we use melted butter, but I was too lazy last night)
1 egg
chocolate chips

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees
2. Thoroughly mix first three ingredients
3. Stir in chocolate chips. Don't add too many...as I discovered last night, this makes it difficult to form the dough into balls.
4. Form dough into balls and place on cookie sheet
5. Cook for 10 minutes.

Cookies will be fluffy and soft when first removed from the oven. Allow them to cool about 10 minutes before removing from baking sheet--they will collapse and harden slightly. This recipe makes approx. 2 dozen cookies.

No comments: