Sunday, June 12, 2011

Kirtan Kriya

One of the last times I was at yoga--which sadly, was a long time ago--Nancy introduced us to the Kirtan Kriya. She's been reading books by Dr. Daniel Amen. Dr. Amen recommends the Kirtan Kriya in his book Making a Good Brain Great. The Kirtan Kriya is a Kundalini yoga meditation that combines mantras (words) and mudras (hand positions.)

I'm not good at meditation. My mind wanders, and usually it wanders in a negative downward spiral. I think the combination of mantra and mudra works for me. I was able to concentrate on that and not get lost in negative or random thoughts.

To practice the Kirtan Kriya touch each of the fingers consecutively to the thumb while saying the matching word--as shown below. Envision the sound coming down through the top of your head and out through your third eye. Repeat starting with the pointer finger. When you are done open the hands and say Aaaah. Detailed instructions for the 12 minute version are available here.

The sounds are based on the five primal sounds. Saa means birth or infinity, Taa means life, Naa means death or completion, and Maa means rebirth.

No comments: