1 or 2 onions
1. Wash, chop and boil potatoes until tender. I hate it when the potatoes aren't fully cooked, so I cooked them first.
2. Shred onion. I used one, but could have used two for the amount that I made.
3. Cut beef into small pieces.
4. Saute onion in oil until softened.
5. Add beef and cook until browned.
6. Stir in spices and cook for 1-2 minutes.
7. Add tomato sauce and water. Stir and bring to a boil. This is where I added in the tomato puree and slit open cayenne peppers.
8. Simmer stew, stirring occasionally, for about 2 hours. Add potatoes for last half hour of cooking.
I served this with tortillas, guac and Spanish quinoa. Cooking it for two hours ensured that the meat was tender, and pre-cooking the potatoes ensured that they were nice and soft. The guys loved it, so there are barely any leftovers.