Saturday, January 30, 2010

This Week and a Rant on Discrimination

Wow, this week has just flown by. I've been super busy at work and haven't been able to post about all the things I want to post about. I'll try and catch up today or tomorrow. I managed to go to yoga twice this week, and got a lot of walking in at work. I checked Google Maps and I walked about 2.7 miles on Thursday!
Right now it is snowing and Ross is snowboarding with his work buddies. I'm glad I stayed home to catch up on some much needed sleep. If it stops snowing I will run some errands. I'm not afraid of the snow, but I'd much rather drive around the Subaru in it than the Lexus.
My boss noticed my piercing for the first time yesterday. It must have been super sparkly because I noticed lots of people staring. I got into a discussion recently about discrimination of people with tattoos and/or piercings. People seem to think that discriminating against us acceptable because it is a visible, personal choice--unlike race, religion (ha!), sexuality, nationality, etc. If a professional treats me differently it is supposedly my fault; I should have known I'd be treated differently. Well, yeah, I know some people are going to make assumptions about me just cause I'm pierced (but they make no assumptions about females who have their ear lobes pierced). Still, I think it is unacceptable to be treated differently. I'm not saying it has happened to me. I don't think it has, but I know people with tattoos and piercings are treated differently, even by medical professionals. I think it stems from fear of Hepatitis. Well, get your vaccines and take standard precautions!
The next time I get into that discussion someone is going to get an earful. Isn't that how it always is? You think of great things to say and great ways to say them after the discussion? If someone treats me differently just because of a piece of jewelry that says something about them, not something about me.

1 comment:

Nicole said...

Okay, I had to do some serious rummaging through your blog to find out where you were pierced but it's a beautiful piercing! Looks like it hurt like a mo-fo to get but it's gorgeous. Seriously.