Sunday, June 21, 2009

Gin and Tonic Gelatin Mold

I checked out Nigella Lawson's How to Be a Domestic Goddess from the library a while back. Almost all of the baking recipes require self rising flour. I'm not sure why, but I refuse to buy the stuff. I've tried to substitute for it, and it has never worked. I was really attracted to a recipe for a gin and tonic gelatin mold. I've tried to make gelatin molds before, and it hasn't ever worked out. Man, I made a huge mess in the kitchen yesterday trying to make this one. The recipe calls for leaf gelatin, and they don't sell that at WW. It gives the equivalency in powder, but I don't think it was right. The recipe also had an outright contradiction. It said to use a 4 cup mold, but to make 6 cups of liquid. If I ever try making this again I'm going to use a lot more gelatin. I tried it a little while ago. Wow. Tastes just like a gin and tonic (I guess I shouldn't be surprised--that's what's in it). It is STRONG, and I like it. Of course I made it with lime instead of lemon. There is one more recipe in the book that I might try. It doesn't require gelatin or self-rising flour, so maybe I can make it without screwing it up.

No comments: