Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Pancake Quest

I've decided on a new quest: pancakes. Well, I guess I mean a good pancake recipe. I never really liked pancakes. Strange, I know. Maybe it is because I have never liked pancake syrup--I know I'm a freak. I want something healthy, yet tasty and fluffy. I made pancakes last weekend, and I'm really tired of the recipe I use. Sure, it is healthy, but they don't really taste like an indulgence. Pancake has the word cake in it. It should be like a flat breakfast cake, no? I'm going to experiment until I can come up with a good pancake. Here is the recipe that I normally use:

Whole Grain Apple Pancakes

1 c. whole wheat flour
1/3 c. rolled oats
1/3 c. flax meal
1/3 c. all purpose flour
2 Tbl. whey powder
1/4 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
2 c. buttermilk
2 large eggs
2 Tbl. butter, melted
2 Tbl. light molasses
vanilla
ginger
nutmeg
cinnamon
1 large apple, peeled and shredded

1. Combine dry ingredients, including spices.
2. Whisk eggs, add remaining wet ingredients, including vanilla.
3. Combine wet and dry ingredients.
4. Cook on skillet over medium heat.


Well, this weekend I made a few modifications. I cut out the butter and used vegetable oil, only because I was lazy and didn't want to melt the butter. I also cut out the molasses--not to cut out sugar, but because they tend to burn. Instead of apple I used 2 really ripe pears. I just used 2 percent milk, not buttermilk. These pancakes tend to turn out dense and heavy. I'll work on it--I have a few ideas.

No comments: