Saturday, August 9, 2008

Ross's Corndog Adventure

I didn't grow up eating a lot of corndogs, but I know that I liked them. I can't remember the last time I had a corndog. It has been at least 10 years, maybe even 20. When we go to the state fair we always stare longingly at the corndogs. I told Ross that we had some hot dogs and he decided to finally try and make a kosher corndog. Well, he made corndogs with kosher hot dogs. Because the batter has milk in it the corndogs aren't totally kosher, but we don't follow the milk-meat rule anyway. Ross made the corndogs and I baked some Ore-Ida onion rings and rosemary potatoes. I think the corndogs were a delicious success.

Corndogs

hot dogs (Ross used Hebrew National 97% fat free--7 weenies in a package)
flour
skewers
oil for frying

1 c. milk
2 medium eggs
1/4 c. oil
2 Tbl. sugar
1 tsp. salt
2 tsp. baking powder
1 1/3 c. cornmeal
2/3 c. flour

1. In a large bowl whisk together milk, eggs, oil, sugar, and salt.
2. Sprinkle in dry ingredients and mix together.
3. Start preheating the oil to fry the corndogs in.
4. Pat corndogs dry with paper towels.
5. Dust hot dogs with flour so that the batter will stick.
6. Push skewers about half way into the hot dogs. Ross trimmed the skewers so that they would fit into the deep fryer.
7. Pour the batter into a tall glass so that you can dip the hot dogs in to coat them.
8. Dip hot dogs into batter and then drop them into the hot oil (about 375 degrees).
9. Only cook 2 or 3 hotdogs at a time.
10. Ross cooked the hotdogs 2 at a time for about about 2.5 minutes.
11. Remove the corndogs from the oil with tongs and let cool and drain on paper towels.


We had quite a bit of batter left over since we only made 7 corndogs and this recipe is supposed to make twice that. I think this recipe is a little too watery, and if we do it again I think I'll have Ross cut back a little on the milk, and maybe even try soy milk. Anyway, we might try and make some corn fritters or something with the leftover batter.




No comments: