Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Career Path

Well, I have no idea what my career is so I have no idea where my path is headed. I had a long discussion about this in the wee hours of the morning on Saturday with Lisa Diane and Jacob. I have no idea what to do. I think one of my dream jobs is being some sort of food writer. I don't know anything about food, but I do know what I like. I think the fact that I don't eat treyf would somewhat hinder a career in the foodie business. I'm not really strict, but all those foods laced with prosciutto would be out. Then there are scallops, shrimp, and of course bacon wrapped scallop and shrimp. Anyways, here is my foodie post for today.

Baby Food:

I eat baby food as a snack the way most people eat a cup of yoghurt. My favorite is Gerber Hawaiian Delight flavor. Another one that I recently found that I like is Apple Vanilla Mixed Grain with DHA. I don't know if the DHA does anything for me, that is just how it comes. I mix it with a little whey powder and it makes the perfect snack. Well, I feel a little bad about all those little containers. I recycle them, and the paperboard that they come in, but it just seems like such a waste. I can't recycle the lid (which never even gets used) or the peel-off seal. The other issue is that they come in number 7 plastic containers, so they probably contain BPA, which is bad for me and even worse for babies. Each container costs 50-60 cents--about the same as a cup of yoghurt. Still, I feel a bit guilty buying them. Last week when I ventured to Wally World I decided to buy some apple sauce and some baby cereal. Man, there were so many choices! I remember when it was just oatmeal or rice, now they have all sorts of things. I ended up buying the whole multi grain with apples and yoghurt (and it comes with DHA). Today for snack I mixed up my own batch of baby food using unsweetened apple sauce, flax meal, the multi grain cereal, whey, and vanilla. It was pretty tasty. I have no idea how many calories were in my mix. The store bought container has 70 calories I think. Next time I will have to measure and add up the calories. I think mixing it up myself will be a lot less expensive. The cereal cost like 3 dollars, but I didn't use very much of it. Applesauce is cheap and I always have whey, flax, and vanilla in the house. I just realized I can't recycle the cereal container either--it is waxed. Oh well, you can't win them all.

No comments: