Last week I made some plain gelato. It was a little like soft serve, but after 24 hours in the refrigerator it was more like regular ice cream. With all the yolks it tastes a little eggy, but it was fine with some blackberries. When we have made it through this batch (it made a lot) I will try and make some oatmeal gelato. I got this recipe out of Men's Health. I forgot to add the salt, and the recipe didn't ever say what to do with the cream.... Men's Health isn't really a cooking magazine.
1 quart milk
10 egg yolks
1 1/2 c. sugar
1/2 c. cream
1 pinch salt
1. Heat the milk, cream, and half the sugar in a saucepan. Bring to a simmer.
2. Whisk the other half of the sugar with the egg yolks in a large bowl.
3. Slowly add the milk to the eggs, whisking constantly.
4. Return everything to the saucepan and stir constantly until steam begins to rise from the liquid.
5. Add the salt and strain the mixture into a bowl.
6. Chill the mixture in an ice bath then refrigerate for 4 hours.
7. Pour chilled mixture into ice cream maker.
8. Harden gelato in freezer before serving.
I think the gelato was eggy for two reasons....1--10 egg yolks and 2--I didn't have time to put the mixture in an ice bath or strain it....so it might have continued to cook a little while in the refrigerator. Next time I'm going to try a different recipe...
Bacon Ale Cheese Dip
4 weeks ago