Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Flying Trapeze

The best part of Trapeze School? The flying trapeze! In a word it was--FAST. Once you jump off the platform you are flying and there is no way to undo it. We had a brief overview of what to do on the ground, and I wanted to get things (timing) exactly right so that I would have a chance to try a catch.  

Ross was actually the first to go. We were both really pumped. When I took my turn I really concentrated on doing everything Megan (lady on the ground in charge of safety and yelling commands) said (shouted). I had training on the ground with Elliot after my first fly. He said I just needed to do catch hands (which they hadn't shown us before). I went over the catch with him several times, and he was so patient with me. The bottom line is that you just have to do it. It goes so fast that you don't really have time to think through all the steps, you just do them. Letting go of the bar with your legs just happens. We got to do two solo flies, and then a catch. It was totally awesome.

We totally got sucked in. We purchased a second class---trapeze only, and got a third class free. We will go back next month for our next class. In the mean time I need to work on my shoulders--they are weak and loose. Oh, and I thought I got away with just a rug burn (maybe from the net) on my hand, but nope, I have a killer bruise on the back of my left calf from the bar. And as with snowboarding, I'm sore all over.




A great big thank you to our catcher, Donovan.

1 comment:

Nicole said...

WOW! WOW! And WOW! I'm so impressed with you two! I could never do that. I'd get up there, vomit on myself and sadly climb back down the ladder to clean my puke-stained clothes while everyone else enjoys getting their trapeze on. You guys look like pros! Time to join the circus! :-)