Friday, December 14, 2012

Fear v Security

Here in Austin we have the Dell Jewish Campus. A bunch of synagogues, Hebrew school, Jewish Community Center.  Big fence around it--a ghetto.  I have strong feelings about this.  There is a security guard/shack at the front gate.  I hate it.  It makes me feel unwelcome.  Why do we need a guard?  What do we have to fear?  Some people say it makes them feel more secure.  Secure about what?  Being stopped at the front gate to ask me what I'm doing and where I'm going just makes me angry.  Apparently just a sticker on the car is pass enough not to stop you.  So how is that secure?

If someone wants to bomb me, shoot me, or otherwise terrorize me because I'm a Jew they will find a way to do it.  A guard at the front gate won't stop them, it just angers and insults me.  I refuse to live in fear of some unknown threat.  And I refuse to believe some guard at the front gate is actually protecting me.

No comments: