Gnocchi Del Casentino
slightly less than 1kg spinach
300g (1.25 c.) ricotta cheese
150g (5 oz.) Parmesan cheese
1. In a large pot cook the spinach in a little boiling water until tender.
2. Drain the spinach, wrap it in a cloth, and squeeze out all the water. Be careful not to burn yourself!
This is the drained and squeeze dried spinach.3. Finely chop the wrung-out spinach and put it in a bowl.
4. Add the ricotta, half the Parmesan cheese, egg, a pinch of nutmeg, and salt and pepper to taste.
Kinda looks like spinach dip.6. Dump some flour onto a flat surface and roll small amounts of the spinach mixture in the flour to form a ball.
7. Bring a large pot of water to a boil.
8. Roll each spinach ball in the flour again to fully coat it and keep it from breaking apart in the water.
The flour forms a clear coat on the gnocchi kind of like rice wrapping on a spring roll.9. Add the spinach balls to the water in small batches and boil until they begin to float.
10. Remove gnocchi from water and place into warm bowl.
11. Cook the remaining gnocchi in the same way.
12. In the meantime melt some butter with the sage over low heat.
13. When all the gnocchi are cooked drizzle the sage butter and remaining Parmesan cheese over them.
14. Nom nom nom.
They might not look appetizing, but they are.