Wednesday, March 3, 2010

No Big Deal

I was having trouble telling people that I'm a doctor. If I act like it is no big deal, then voila, it isn't a big deal. I've noticed that about a couple of other things too. Problem solved. Still, this doesn't work with discrimination or hateful speech. I can't act like it is no big deal. It is a big deal. I still haven't figured out what to say. I have purposefully been avoiding certain people/situations where I know it would come up. So I am missing out on things. What a drag! I need to figure out what to say. I need to say it calmly and matter-of-factly. I don't want to sound like the crazy person in the conversation. At least I don't have to deal with hateful crap at the office. That would be a real nightmare.

1 comment:

Nicole said...

Another similarity: I never write about it on my blog but I work at/for a hospital too. Although not on the clinical side; I work in the marketing department. At the second largest hospital in Maryland. Second only to your hospital.