I made Indian food last night and thought it would be good to finish it off with chai ice cream. It turned out great! It has the best texture of any ice cream I've ever made, and it tastes just like chai.
Chai Ice Cream
2 c. heavy cream
1 c. milk (I used 2 percent)
1/4 c. loose chai
3/4 c. sugar
6 egg yolks
1. Pour 1 c. cream and 1 c. milk into a heavy pot over medium heat.
2. Stir cream constantly until mixture is hot and steaming.
3. Remove pot from heat and pour in chai. Stir.
4. Cover pot and allow chai to steep for up to an hour--stirring it every twenty minutes and checking it for color and taste.
I only had about 3 tablespoons of Tea Embassy Masala Chai left, so that is what I used. It took almost an hour to get it the right color and taste.
5. Return pot to medium heat, pour in sugar and stir until dissolved (do not boil).
6. Strain out chai. Return mixture to pot.
7. Place remaining 1 c. cream in a bowl over an ice bath.
8. Whisk egg yolks and temper with cream mixture.
9. Pour egg yolks into pot with cream.
10. Whisk egg-cream mixture constantly over medium heat until it coats the back of a spoon.
11. Strain custard into remaining cold cream.
12. Stir cream and custard together.
13. Chill mixture in refrigerator until cold.
14. Freeze mixture in ice cream maker.
15. Ripen ice cream in air tight container in freezer at least 4 hours before serving.