Thursday, February 14, 2013

Zabaglione

Ross and I don't disagree on much, but we disagree on the right way to make zab.  I got a recipe for zab off the internets when the internets was just beginning.  Ross likes it with the egg whites, I like it without. Wanna know what love is?  Whenever Ross makes it he sets aside some for me before he adds the egg whites.

Zabaglione 
4 Tbl. sugar
1 tsp. unflavored gelatin
1/2 c. Marsala wine (sweet)
6 egg yolks, beaten until thick
1 c. whipping cream
1 tsp. vanilla
4 egg whites
2 Tbl. sugar
1/8 tsp. salt
Fresh berries
  1. Combine 4 Tbl. sugar, gelatin, Marsala, and egg yolks.
  2. Cook over low heat until mixture thickens--stirring constantly.
  3. Chill mixture until fully cooled.
  4. In a chilled medium bowl whip vanilla and cream until still.
  5. Add egg yolk mixture to cream and beat until smooth.
  6. In a separate bowl beat egg whites until foamy.
  7. Add sugar and salt to egg whites and beat until stiff peaks form
  8. Fold egg whites into cream mixture.
  9. Chill at least 2 hours.
  10. Serve with berries


This is zab Ross's way.  I don't like the texture.  I served the zab with strawberries Navan.  I soaked sliced fresh strawberries in Navan for 24 hours.  Tasty.  Unfortunately I don't think Navan is available anymore.
This is zab my way.  It tastes better and looks prettier too.

No comments: