Monday, February 4, 2013

Lavender Shortbread

I bought some lavender sugar in Napa and didn't really know what to do with it, then I decided I'd make some kind of cookies and put the lavender sugar on top.  I ended up making lavender shortbread as the cookie.

Lavender Shortbread

1/2 c unsalted butter-cut into small pieces
1c all purpose flour
1/3 c brown rice flour
1/4 c sugar
1 Tbl. lavender--ground
1 Tbl. water
lavender sugar for top
  1. Preheat oven to 325.
  2. Line bottom of cake pan with parchment paper.
  3. Mix the dry ingredients together.
  4. Work butter into flour mixture with your hands until you have a fine crumbly mess.
  5. Add 1 Tbl. water to mixture and work it in to form a ball of dough.  Add more water a little at a time if dough won't hold together.
  6. Press ball of dough out into cake pan.
  7. Sprinkle lavender sugar on top of dough.
  8. Put pan in refrigerator or freezer so dough can cool.
  9. Once dough is cold prick it all over with a fork and score dough into wedges with sharp knife.
  10. Sprinkle more sugar on if you want to.
  11. Bake for 40-45 minutes.
  12. Let shortbread cool.  The big cookie should come out of the pan easily and break along the scored marks.
I never met a recipe I didn't change.  This one didn't call for water, but there was no way I could make the dough stick together.  Note: I measured out 1 Tbl. of lavender before I ground it in the spice grinder.  I wish I had scored the cookie a little deeper--essentially pre-cutting the cookie--it didn't break along the lines, but I was able to cut along the lines with a dinner knife.

I think this counts as trying a new recipe.  I had never made shortbread before.  I'm going to have to make it again--I took it to Richard's house for the game last night and there really wasn't any left over.  I think it will be good with tea.

No comments: