Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Krav Maga

Krav Ma-wha? Krav Maga. The hand to hand combat and self defense system employed by the Mossad and Jack Donaghy alike. Last night I went to my first Krav Maga class. Very interesting. Krav Maga is more attacking to defend yourself rather than using blocks or such things to defend yourself.

I'm surprised I liked it. It was very high stress and confrontational. Two things I really don't like. They got our heart rates up and got us all stressed out so it would be more like a real life situation. I learned how to do palm strikes, kicks (to the groin of course), and how to get out of a front choke hold. I definitely feel more confident--just after one class--that I could defend myself were someone to attack me.

The class also had a lecture section. Most of the stuff I already knew from my dad. Stuff like don't flash your money around or stand out like a sore thumb. The lecture basically described the perfect victim, and how we can control most of that to keep from being a victim.  I'm going to look into going again.

If I did this, yoga, and trapeze once a week each, I think I'd get really fit. I wish that I had all three really close to my house---despite all the money I'd be spending.

No comments: