Saturday, February 5, 2011

Spies, Sweet Syrup, Dirty Nappies, and More!

This morning we headed to DC to visit the International Spy Museum. We got discount tickets through Living Social, which also entitled us to free key chains. We weren't allowed to take any photos, and I didn't even take one of the outside of the building. I visited the museum back in 2003 I think. There were more exhibits than I remember. It was pretty cool. We only lasted for 2.5 hours. I learned a lot. Unfortunately, I've forgotten most of it already.

After the museum we headed to Ella's Wood Fired Pizza. We started with the butternut squash risotto. The flavor was great, but the rice was undercooked. A bit crunchy. I was hungry, so I inhaled it. Then we had the wild mushroom pizza--which came with mushrooms, tomato sauce, spinach, and goat cheese. It was pretty good, but I agree with Ross that there was just something missing. I think it was garlic. We didn't have room for dessert. I wanted to try the tiramisu, but I'll be making some tomorrow, so I let it go. Ross had a Dr. Pepper that was all syrup. It tasted so good! Between the two of us we polished off 2 glasses. That was probably enough syrup for 5 glasses! It was so tasty though. It almost tasted like real sugar. The service was friendly, but a bit lacking.

After lunch we walked to the Cowgirl Creamery. We decided to buy one of the cheeses that was on sale--we sampled it and it was pretty tasty. We'll take it to tomorrow's superbowl party. When the lady at the cash register asked if I wanted a bag I said no--that I'd put it inside my bag inside a bag inside a bag. I wrapped up the cheese in a plastic grocery sac, dropped it into my reusable bag that I always carry with me, and then put it into my purse. Ross and I then noticed a sign on the register that businesses inside DC charge 5c per plastic bag. I didn't know that.

We left the Creamery and headed back down to the Metro. Something smelled really terrible, so Ross and I moved further down the platform. I moved again. Then as I was sitting on a really cold concrete bench I noticed the smell again. Like a dirty nappy. I put my head into my purse (Yes my big head fits into my purse, have you seen my purse?) and the dirty nappy smell came out at me. I yelped "It's me! I'm the stinky one!" Seems the cheese we bought is rather fragrant. We drove home with the cheese in the trunk, and the smell still crept up and tried to knock us out.

We did some grocery shopping on the way home. I needed things to make tiramisu. I also grabbed some fruit for Pimm's cups. I saw a coat in WW that I liked, but they didn't have my size. I'm jealous of Ross's new $15 coat. I'm going with him snowboarding next week and I want to look all cool. I ended up buying a $6 coat, but it isn't very heavy. I'm going to check another WW tomorrow (how sad is that...)

No comments: