Sunday, January 27, 2008

Tiramisu


Last night we had a little finger food party. It was a lot of hard work. The first thing I made yesterday was the dessert of course. Tiramisu. I made it for the dessert party, and it was a little soupy. I altered the recipe and this time it turned out great. Everybody liked the tiramisu, and I think it might have been the easiest thing I made yesterday. I did have a problem with the cream. Two tries and it didn't whip. I was baffled. That has never happened to me before. I chilled everything in the freezer, but twice it just sat there, getting slightly bubbly. Ross ran out for another carton of cream and it whipped up in seconds. Strange. So here's the recipe for a firmer tiramisu.

Tiramisu

3 egg yolks
3/4 c. sugar
8 oz. mascarpone cheese
1/2 c. heavy cream
1 c. espresso, cooled to room temperature
1 c. water
4 Tbl. sweet Marsala wine
savoiardi
3-4 squares of Ghiradelli chocolate, grated

1. Beat together yolks and 1/2 c. sugar in a large bowl until thick and pale.
2. Beat in mascarpone just until blended.
3. Beat cream in bowl until soft peaks form. Sprinkle in remaining 1/4 c. sugar and beat cream to stiff peaks. Fold the whipped cream into the mascarpone mixture.
4. Stir together espresso, water, and Marsala in a shallow dish. --Before I had the espresso maker I went to Starbucks and got a venti coffee with three extra shots.
5. Dip the ladyfingers one at a time in the espresso mix--about 2 seconds each side--and arrange on the bottom of a dish.
6. Spread half the mascarpone mixture over the layer of ladyfingers.
7. Sprinkle half of the grated chocolate over the marscapone.
8. Arrange another layer of ladyfingers over the marsala and chocolate.
9. Spread the remaining mascarpone mixture over the ladyfingers.
10. Top with remaining chocolate.
11. Cover and chill tiramisu at least 6 hours.

No comments: