Monday, July 19, 2010

Back to Yoga

I have been going to yoga again lately. I need to use up my 5 class pass before it expires (they are good for like 4 months, so I've been lazy for that long!) I've managed to survive the last 3 classes. A few of us were talking about the different yoga teachers after class last week. One lady said that she didn't like one teacher because she was "too sanskrit." What does that mean? The lady bragged about doing yoga for 14 years, but she's never bothered to learn the sanskrit asana names. Then she complained that one of the male teachers is "too flexible." What? She made it very clear that she uses yoga as a work out. She is into power yoga. She'd be a Joseph fanatic if he taught here.

The opposite of power yoga is floppy yoga. Skinny girls do floppy yoga. I saw a lot of it in class today. They cant hold their arms up straight. It annoys me and makes me chuckle at the same time. Yoga class brings out my OCD tendencies. I want to correct my fellow students.

In today's class there was a girl with a head covering on. It was hot yoga. I think it was her first time. I don't think she had any idea what she was in for. She left 20 minutes into the class--I think partly because her friend was feeling ill. She didn't come back until almost the very end of class. Lately I've just been completely fascinated with head coverings. My version of the head covering was to always wear my hair in a bun. With my hair so short I can't put it in a bun. I'm suddenly having the urge to cover my hair. We'll see.

No comments: