Wednesday, September 24, 2008

My First Hater?

Well, it wouldn't actually be my first....
I had a student complain last night about my selection of music. She said she wants to relax not "rock out." Last night I played 80s music. I don't know why I feel bad. I feel bad and angry. A lot of students have told me they like my music, but she said "I've talked to other people and they don't like it." I knew from the moment I met this lady that we weren't going to get along--and I told her so. Really, my problem is that the students at that gym know that we get paid based on how many people sign the sign in sheet. So she told me she's my "customer base." She's holding 2 quarters (yep, 50 cents) over my head like I'm going to jump and do what she says. That's really what bothers me. You can only imagine what I wanted to tell her to do with those 50 cents. I have no idea what her name is...and I'm always short at least one person on the sign in sheet, so she might be withholding her 50 cents, I don't know. I told her I was sorry she didn't like the music, but that it is different every week, and I won't do yoga to new age jazz. I was going to come up with some special cd just for her, but forget it. Last week was acoustical songs. I guess she doesn't want any words at all (she like the music from Princess Bride, but didn't know what Princess Bride was...). I don't know if she genuinely doesn't like the music or just wants to make me jump. When I first met her she said that she comes to relax (not work hard), so I knew we were going to have problems. What do I do? I guess I'll keep on keepin' on.

4 comments:

LisaDiane said...

If she wants an easy, relaxing class, then she needs to go find that kind of class. Your classes are upbeat and energizing. Sounds like she needs to find a yoga for seniors, or relaxation yoga.

k. said...

My mom just suggested that I take a vote. Maybe I'll do that next week. Something like 90s music v. Yo-Yo Ma. If the majority votes for Yo-Yo then so be it. I'll just play classical cds, but I won't specially mix them. I don't want to make 2 cds a week.

V said...

Yeah - she just needs to get off your back. Whenever I go to a new gym or start a new class, I always consider how well I like the teacher and if the yoga class is what I'm looking for. If it's not, then I don't come back. Hey, it's a free country. And life's too short to worry about people like that lady.

Anonymous said...

That lady is a big B!-Tejal