Monday, October 20, 2014

Texas State Fair 2014

I had so much fun this weekend there were times I thought I was going to burst with excitement. We spent about 4 hours walking around at the fair. I'm so glad we go every year. There were old favorites, new things, and changes.
A big part of the State Fair is food. Our first stop when we arrived was to buy some fried guacamole. The guac part is spiced and mixed with finely shredded cheese. The batter is spicy and crispy. I could eat two orders all by myself, but we shared one.
I wanted something sweet, but not too sweet, so we got a belgian waffle with whipped cream, strawberries, and powdered sugar. We asked them to go light on the sugar and it was perfect. The fried guac and waffle was our lunch.
We went to see the arts and crafts exhibits. Every year they have a butter sculpture made with hundreds of pounds of butter. This year the butter sculpture was horses. We didn't see the decorated shoe exhibit in the crafts area. That is usually one of my favorites. After arts and crafts we saw a milking demonstration.
The baby animal barn is my favorite part of the fair. This year I got to pet a baby zebu, a kangaroo, a zonkey, a baby buffalo, a porcupine, and even more animals.
We saw a lot of sheep in one of the barns. We even saw some tiny lambs. One was only four days old!

Ross's favorite part of the fair was the pig races. The piglets ran so fast!

I wanted to ride the ferris wheel, but the line was pretty long. I didn't have the energy or patience to stand around and wait. Next year we will have to hit it up as soon as we get there.

We rode a shuttle back to the parking area. The young girl that sat with us told us that they didn't eat anything in Dallas because of ebola. The hysteria and ignorance about ebola is insane. These people didn't have any trouble going to the fair with a bunch of strangers, but they wouldn't eat the food. Great.

No comments: