I started knitting this sweater in January. It went very quickly, then I got distracted. I picked it back up, finished the body, then got distracted again. When I finally started the sleeves I didn't like them and ripped them out. I restarted the sleeves in July, but didn't work on them much. In September I resolved to finish by Halloween. I knitted, knitted, and knitted the sleeves longer. The original pattern has a shorter body and short sleeves. I didn't see myself wearing it if it was a super short crop top and a short sleeve sweater is kinda strange, so I knitted the body longer and made the sleeves extra long. Of course all that added to how much and how long (time-wise) I knit. On Monday I finished knitting the sleeves. I washed and blocked the 3 pieces (body and 2 sleeves) on Tuesday. Yesterday and today I sewed the shoulder seams and sleeves. That was the first time I really had to sew anything knitted. After the experience on the first sleeve I think I did a better job on the second sleeve.
The sleeves had stretched to be TOO long when I blocked them so after I finished piecing the sweater together I washed and blocked the sweater again. It didn't really help, so I sprayed the sleeves with water and put it in the dryer for 10 minutes on high heat. Voila. Perfect length sleeves.
The sweater can be worn 3 ways. I don't see myself wearing it wrapped around my neck much, unless maybe under a coat. It is just hard to get it to lay nicely while it is twisted. At least I knitted it big enough that I don't feel like it is choking me and it doesn't look too much like a boob sling.
I got really warm during the photo shoot--and I was only wearing a camisole underneath. The yarn is a wool/silk blend and very soft and warm. I'm pleased with the end product and I'm looking forward to wearing this--I'll have a chance soon, as I'll be off to Massachusetts next week.