Friday, August 30, 2013

The Joys and Sorrows of Barton Springs Pool

Barton Springs Pool was on my bucket list for this Summer.  I don't know why I have never been.  I think partly because I knew it was a natural pool fed by springs and creatures live in the pool.  I get kind of (okay, really) creeped out when things brush up against me in the water.

Last Wednesday evening we decided to go check it out with Ainsmar. Enter Sorrow Number One.  As soon as the sun started to go down the temperature dropped and a wind kicked up.  The waters in Barton Springs Pool come from the ground.  The cold, cold ground.  The waters were freezing and it wasn't relaxing at all.

We decided to give it another go on Friday during the day to erase the bad memory of Wednesday night. The sun was blazing, making the cold waters refreshing.  It was a totally different experience.  I'm so glad I finally went (and went back) to Barton Springs Pool.  I'll definitely be going back.
I forgot to take a photo from the top of the hill--I will next time.  The waters look so pretty from above and you can see the different rock surfaces on the bottom of the pool.
Ross looks cool in his new sunglasses.
Ainsmar has zero body fat and was freezing the first time.  He had a lot more fun the second go round.
Here is a photo of a fish in the pool.  The moss and algae and fish and stuff didn't creep me out at all.  The pool must be really deep off the diving board because I never felt any seaweed type stuff tickling my feet the way it used to in the natural pool (river) in Del Rio.
Action shot of Ross doing a backflip off the diving board.  We all tried out the diving board.  I just dive in....no tricks.
Obligatory photo of my toes in the water. The white stuff is rock. The green stuff is moss/algae. The mossy stuff was slippery. The light was dancing on the rock and looked a lot prettier than it does in this photo.

Sorrow number two is that I lost one of my hair sticks at the pool. I had a premonition that I would lose it...but did I leave it at home? No. I've had that stick for a very long time. I said I would cry if Ross lost it and I did cry like a little kid. Oh well.

1 comment:

Nicole said...

I've read about Barton Springs Pool. It's cool to see it in action. Have you guys been to that bridge where all the bats fly out of at night?