Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Flax Muffins


I managed to do almost all of the things on my to do list today. That included making some flax muffins. The muffins are easy to make (despite the long list of ingredients) and make a good "healthy" snack. I suppose they are healthy if you don't top them with a bunch of butter or cream cheese like I do. This isn't my recipe, I got it off the back of the flax bag. You could add raisins or chocolate chips I suppose. I never peel the apples or carrots, there's no reason to really. I don't measure out the spices, and sometimes add allspice or ground cloves. Today I used buttermilk and they turned out fine.....well, the mixture was a little dry, so I added some more milk. Then when putting the first few spoonfulls into the muffin tins I decided to double check the recipe. I was afraid I'd missed some wet ingredient. No, I'd missed the sugar. Its amazing how much better the batter looked and tasted with the sugar. Good thing I realized my mistake before baking the whole batch.



Flax Muffins--yields 22

1 1/2 c. whole wheat flour
3/4 c. flaxseed meal
3/4 c. bran cereal or oat bran
1 c. brown sugar
2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
2 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. nutmeg
1 1/2 c. shredded carrots
2 shredded apples
3/4 c. milk
2 beaten eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Butter muffin tins (don't use paper liners.)
3. Mix together dry ingredients.
4. Stir in shredded carrots and apples.
5. Combine milk, eggs and vanilla.
6. Pour liquid ingredients into dry ingredients.
7. Stir until moistened.
8. DO NOT overmix.
9. Fill muffin cups 3/4 cups full.
10. Bake for 15-18 minutes.
11. Allow to cool, then remove from tins.
12. Store in airtight container in the refrigerator.

No comments: