Tuesday, July 17, 2007

What's For Dinner?

On Sundays I like to make a big meal. What I mean is something that will provide a lot of left overs for lunch Monday and Tuesday. This Sunday I was going to make Chili, but after the movies . . . we saw Ratatouille (a rat in the kitchen, i can deal, a swarm of rats .... DISGUSTING) I didn't feel like cooking so we went out and ate honkey chinese (a little disappointing). So yesterday I went shopping and made chili, so I'll have it for lunch today, and tomorrow. It makes at least 6 servings. I'll probably freeze whatever is left after lunch tomorrow. There's only so much chili I can eat.

Chili

olive oil
onion
garlic
green onions (just cause i had them in the house yesterday)
ground beef or turkey (i used two lbs. yesterday)
cayenne pepper
menudo spice
chili powder
black pepper
secret sauce
crushed tomatoes (the big can)
stout (i use half a pint or less, and then drink a small glass of stout with dinner)
canned beans (black and red kidney, rinsed)
ground flax seed (i usually add this for the omegas, but forgot yesterday)

shredded cheese
crackers
sour creme or yogurt

1. Chop the onions and garlic and saute with olive oil in large pot.
2. Add ground meat and brown.
3. Add spices.
4. When meat is fully cooked add crushed tomatoes, stout, beans and flax seed.
5. Stir and bring to boil.
6. Reduce heat and simmer for at least 30 mins.
7. I like mine with cheese and sour creme on top. Crackers on the side.

No comments: