Friday, March 18, 2011

Power Waffles

Whenever I see my mom she wants me to make power waffles. She got her wish last weekend. I got this recipe from Bon Apetit. I'm sure I've tweaked it a bit. It took a little bit to find some buckwheat flour, but I had everything else in the house. I start this the night before because I don't want to have to wait an extra hour in the morning for breakfast. I use candied ginger instead of crystallized because it is easier to cut up and makes less of a mess.

Power Waffles

2 1/2 c. warm soy milk or rice dream
1/4 c. finely minced candied ginger
2 Tbl. sugar
1 tsp. dry yeast
1 1/2 c. flour
1 c. buckwheat flour
2 tsp. nutmeg
1 c. old fashioned oats
1 tsp. salt

6 large egg whites, beaten to blend
6 Tbl. butter, melted
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. vanilla

1. Mix first 4 ingredients in bowl to blend.
2. Let mixture proof 10 minutes.
3. Mix dry ingredients together.
4. Add dry ingredients to yeast mixture and stir to blend.
5. Chill mixture one hour or overnight.
6. Mix egg whites, butter, baking powder, and vanilla into chilled mixture.
7. Cook waffles in waffle iron.

Serve waffles with yoghurt, honey, and bananas.

2 comments:

Nicole said...

I just use the grocery store waffle mix. I am less of a person.

k. said...

Nicole--You aren't less of a person. I groan every time my mom asks me to make these. The end product is good, but I hate having to think ahead to make sure I have the ingredients and remember to start them the night before.