Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Smoky Comfort Food

Inspired by a recipe in bon apetit and a hankering for mac and cheese I decided to make a smoked mac and cheese. I used smoked provolone, smoked cheddar, smoked gouda, and sharp cheddar. Again, yesterday I was upset and distracted. It looked great going into the oven, looked terrible coming out. I cooked it too long and it jut became mac and cheese grains. It was creamy when I put it in....I'll try it again next week, and just cook it for like 15 mins or something. This week we are going to try smoked pizza. Hopefully that will turn out better than yesterdays adventures.

Smoked Mac and Cheese

butter
flour
milk
smoked provolone
smoked edam
smoked cheddar
sharp cheddar

noodles (I use barilla plus)

1. Boil water and cook pasta according to directions. Drain.
2. Preheat oven to 350.
3. Shred or finely slice about half a cup of each cheese.
4. In a small saucepan melt 3 tablespoons butter.
5. Add 2 spoonfulls of flour to butter.
6. Whisk flour and butter over medium heat until flour is browned.
7. While whisking furiously, add milk (about a cup and a half to two cups).
8. Over medium heat keep whisking as you add the cheeses, one at a time whisking after each addition until cheese is melted.
9. Pour pasta into oven safe baking dish. (I just used a cast iron pan)
10. Pour cheese sauce over the pasta.
11. Stir to coat.
12. Bake at 350 degrees for about 15-20 mins. Just to brown the top.

No comments: