Sunday, October 7, 2007

Saag Paneer


You have probably noticed by now that I don't really measure when I cook. I'll try to give measurements for this one. I bought onion naan at the indian store and I always buy paneer there in the frozen section. The paneer I buy is already cut and toasted, so that saves me some time.


Saag Paneer


3 9oz bags of prewashed spinach
1 onion
3 garlic cloves
1 Tbl. oil
2 tsp. tumeric
2 Tbl. coriander
1 Tbl. comino
1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper
1 c. yoghurt (I love cascade fresh)
1 lb. paneer, cut into cubes and toasted
salt and pepper to taste


1. Cook spinach in large covered pot over high heat with about 1/4 c. water until completely wilted (about 7 minutes).
2. While spinach is cooking dice onion and garlic and saute with oil over medium high heat until browned.
3. Add spices to onion mix and saute another 2 minutes.
4. When spinach is cooked puree in food processor until smooth.
5. Add spinach to onion mix.
6. Stir in yoghurt.
7. Add paneer cubes.
8. Simmer over medium heat for 15-20 minutes, stirring occaisonally until spinach darkens.
9. Add salt and pepper to taste.
10. Serve with naan and samosa.

If the mixture is too thick, add a little more yoghurt or some milk. I added some half and half today just because I had some. I added salt at the table because I forgot to add it when cooking. The onion naan was tasty, and the samosas were somehow better than last time (came out of the same bag.)

No comments: