Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Ribollita

Last week I decided to try and make Ribollita. Its a Tuscan bread soup that I had when we were there last month. It was one of the best things I had while we were there. I think my attempt turned out pretty good. Tejal liked it, and she has had the real thing. I will make it again soon cause it's really tasty and warms you up when its cold out.

Ribollita

1 1/8 c. dried cannellini beans (210g, I used navy beans)
1 1/4 lb. black or savoy cabbage (I used red)
extra virgin olive oil
2 yellow onions, sliced
1 small can diced tomatoes
3 celery stalks, diced
3 carrots, peeled and diced
8 cups water
2 cubes vegetable bullion
thyme
salt and pepper
6 slices coarse country bread
garlic butter

1. In a bowl cover beans with water and soak for 12 hours.
2. Drain beans and set aside
3. Discard hard stalks from cabbage, slice leaves coarsely and set aside.
4. In a large pot over medium heat warm 3 Tbl. olive oil.
5. Add onion and fry until translucent, about 5 minutes.
6. Add tomatoes, celery and carrots.
7. Cook, stirring frequently, for 5 minutes.
8. Pour in the water.
9. Add the cabbage, beans, thyme and vegetable bullion (cut up).
10. Season to taste with salt and pepper (I didn't add any and it was good).
11. Bring soup to a boil, stirring occasionally.
12. Reduce heat, cover pot and simmer for about two hours.
13. Meanwhile (towards the end) toast the bread and spread garlic butter over. (I made garlic butter by toasting fresh garlic on the stove and then mashing it into a stick of butter).
14. When beans are fully cooked slip bread into the soup.
15. Let soup stand and cool completely.
16. Before serving return soup to a boil.
17. Ladle into bowls and serve.

I did take a photo, if I can manage to get it off the camera I'll upload it.

No comments: