Saturday, October 6, 2012

Bucket List: National Archives and WWII Memorial

The day after we went to Philly we went down to DC to visit the National Archives.  It was nice not to have to wait in line or anything.  We saw the Constitution, the Magna Carta, the Declaration of Independence, and  the Bill of Rights. They were larger than I had imagined, and the writing was so tiny.  I was especially fascinated by the copper script plate that was made to run copies of the Declaration of Independence. I have no clue how they did that--I think it took a couple of years.
After the Archives we walked to see the WWII memorial and the Lincoln Memorial.  I don't know how I'd never seen the WWII memorial.  I liked the wall of freedom.
The plaque reads: The Price of Freedom: Freedom Wall holds 4048 gold stars.  Each gold star represents 100 American service personnel who died or went missing in the war.  The 405,399 American dead and missing from World War II are second only to loss of more than 620,000 Americans during our Civil War.

Wow.

I think we walked another 3 or 4 miles that day.  Tired feet.

No comments: