Thursday, February 21, 2008

Oatmeal Cookies



Last fall I got the urge for some oatmeal cookies. I searched through a bunch of recipes and found one that I liked. Of course I modified it. The cookies tasted all right, but the texture was not at all what I was looking for. The cookies turned out flat and lacey and fell apart easily. I wanted a nice chewy cookie. I ended up with a bunch of crumbly cookies that were easily mushed into a cookie ball. I decided this week to try to modify the recipe to get a more stable cookie. I only had enough ingredients for a half batch on Tuesday, but they turned out great (and are already gone). I made a full batch today and they turned out really well. So, here's my recipe for "sort of healthy" oatmeal cookies.

Oatmeal Cookies

1 c. butter, softened
1 c. dark brown sugar
1/2 c. sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
1 c. all-purpose flour
1/2 c. whole wheat flour
1 scoop whey powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. ground cloves
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
1/4 tsp. cinnamon
3 c. oats
1 c. raisins (or dried cranberrys or dried cherries)

1. Cream the butter until light and fluffy.
2. Cream in the sugars and vanilla until smooth.
3. Beat in eggs.
4. Add dry ingredients and mix until well combined.
5. Drop by rounded spoonfuls onto ungreased cookie sheets.
6. Bake for 12 minutes, or until slightly golden.
7. Let cookies cool at least 4 minutes before removing from cookie sheets.
8. Store in airtight container after completely cooled.
These were good with the dried cherries and I just tried one with raisins. It was just as good. It was interesting to see that the brown sugar I just bought was a lot lighter than the one I had in the cabinet. Oh yes, this recipe makes 3 dozen. It's going to be a challenge not to eat them all! I'll send a bunch to work with Ross and take some to the neighbors.

No comments: