2 c sifted flour
4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cream of tartar
3 Tbl sugar
grated lemon zest from 2 lemons
juice of 1 lemon
1/2 c butter
1/2 c milk
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- Sift all dry ingredients together.
- Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients--add milk all at once.
- Stir in milk until just combined.
- Knead dough until smooth.
- Pat or roll out dough onto floured surface until 1/2 inch thick.
- Cut out biscuits.
- Bake 10-12 minutes.
This recipe supposedly makes 16 medium biscuits. I think I got 14. When grating the lemon zest try not to grate the white pith--that's the bitter stuff.
Ross said the biscuits were better with the cherry jam. Gotta love Bonne Maman.