Saturday, February 14, 2015

Valentine's Day Lemon Biscuits

Because I had been craving Ginger Lemon Cremes and had trouble finding them I bought some lemons at HEB, thinking I could make some lemon cake or lemon cupcakes. Luckily I found my cookies at Spec's, and didn't have to try and make some lemon-ginger cupcakes that wouldn't quite satisfy my craving.

Yesterday I decided I wanted to make biscuits, and I thought I'd use the lemons I bought to make some lemon biscuits. I modified the Better Homes and Gardens Biscuits Supreme recipe my parents always used and came up with some tasty lemon biscuits. They are definitely lemony, but not tart or bitter. It dawned on me that I could use my heart-shaped cookie cutter to cut the biscuits: voila, Valentine's Day biscuits. These paired perfectly with cherry jam--and butter of course.

Lemony Biscuits
2 c sifted flour
4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cream of tartar
3 Tbl sugar
grated lemon zest from 2 lemons
juice of 1 lemon
1/2 c butter
1/2 c milk

  1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
  2. Sift all dry ingredients together.
  3. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
  4. Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients--add milk all at once.
  5. Stir in milk until just combined.
  6. Knead dough until smooth.
  7. Pat or roll out dough onto floured surface until 1/2 inch thick.
  8. Cut out biscuits.
  9. Bake 10-12 minutes.

This recipe supposedly makes 16 medium biscuits. I think I got 14. When grating the lemon zest try not to grate the white pith--that's the bitter stuff.

Ross said the biscuits were better with the cherry jam. Gotta love Bonne Maman.


No comments: